Thursday, October 05, 2006

Why Cavemen are competitive

Think about it. You have to feed your community. You need to bring in the best harvest. If you aren't the best, cavepeople will suffer.

How to you kill the most, find the best, and carry the most? Simple, be the best.

Competition. Originally in my essays I wrote that cavemen weren't necessarily competitive. I changed my point of view will looking closely at "Type A" males, which I am not one of.
I looked particularly at the financial sector in our modern world. I learned about men who use other people's money to make more money for themselves. These cavemen were driven to achieve a simple goal; more is better. These fellas had high levels of concentration about the topic of making money. "The guy who has the most toys, wins."
The hunter who brings in the most food helps his community the best. The farmer who grows the biggest crops is also the hero in the community.

The only way to be the best is to compete. It doesn't matter if your competing to find the next medicine to cure a disease or hitting the most home runs. Cavemen compete to provide the best for themselves and others.

Is competition a major trait a caveman has? I think probably, yes. In early cavedom, cavemen did what they could to provide and assist in creating more cavebabies. With the ever increasing successes of the creating angle came the need to provide more food for the community. More mouths to feed, the more food needed. In time, I feel, cavemen within a community began competing to see who could provide the most food or assist in creating the most cavebabies.

Some competition is more obvious than others. I was never the fastest, best looking, most adroit, or smartest. But I can usually get at least a chuckle out of just about everyone. My competitive trait is to be funnier than the next caveman. I also competed, unknowingly to most others, to be the best technician in the work I do. Did I succeed at either competitions? I can make folks laugh and I can fix communication devices quite well.

So yes, another trait of being a caveman is competition.

No comments: