Thursday, October 05, 2006

I Took a Time Out in Posting

It has been a while since I lasted created a new post.

As you should have probably guessed by now the posts are sequential per the time I created them, but they are set up to look like the oldest is really the newest.

Since my hiatus in writing posts on this blog has seemed long for me, it is time to get back to work and continue to define what a 'Caveman' is and how men like me deal with the real world as it is now.

I have thought about politics quite a bit during these past few months. I think I am now ready to put into publication my opinions about some candidates.

Senator Obama is NOT a Caveman. He is able to do quite a number of things in keeping his campaign going and keeping on message. He may appear to many as being like a Caveman, but he seems to have grown away from most of the typical traits most real Cavemen have.

Senator Biden may be much closer to being a Caveman, but he has been able to hold on to a difficult job that requires quite a bit of dealing with many issues at one time and not necessarily sequentially, which is a major trait of a true Caveman.

Senator McCain has proven time and time again that he is a real Caveman. He gets on a message and sticks with it, no matter what. He does seem flustered when he is thrown off target.

His life has been filled with Caveman-like traits. He was not in the top of his class at the Naval Academy and that was probably because he did not multi-task as well as others.

His inability to master some Navy aircraft types further suggests to me that he was very capable at handling the A4, single-seat, single-engine aircraft and it being sequential in flying aircraft is a must.

He also shares a single vision at things at various times and is not comfortable when his concentration is challenged.

After pondering who I thought have made good Presidents, it appears that true Cavemen are not the best to deal with all the issues coming up, all at once, in the Presidency.

Bill Clinton, Dwight Eisenhower, FDR, and even Ronald Reagan seemed to be able to deal with matters better than folks like Jimmy Carter, G.H.W. Bush, L.B.J., and "W".

Republicans and Democrats can make decent to good to great Presidents. True Cavemen aren't so fortunate.

Todd Palin. Now that guy is a true Caveman. He found his Cave wife early in life, like so many other Cavemen.

From reports I have read about his life, he is sequential in tasking and has many of the very strong characteristics of a real Caveman.

Unfortunately for Todd, his Cave-wife has left the Cave and done things no wife of a real Caveman would do.

In the real world of Cavemen, no Cave-wife would be allowed to take the place of a Caveman if that Caveman was healthy and able to do what Cavemen are designed to do.

Racing snowmobiles can be viewed as a purely Caveman sport. The competition between Cavemen to find out which one could get to the food quickest is something Cavemen have done throughout the ages.

But watching your Cave-wife leave the Cave to do things is frustrating unless you and your Cave-wife are comfortable with whatever she does.

This must be very troubling for Todd and I bet he has some real inner disruptions in his emotions and thoughts.

That paragraph brings me to thinking more about Cavemen and emotion.

Most Cavemen have difficulty with handling emotion, in themselves and others.

Cavemen were not able to find true emotional strength in the beginning because of their importance in the basic two things they are still required to do:
Provide food for the Cave and assist in the creation of more Cave-babies.

When a Caveman is out on a hunt or working the fields or orchards to provide food, they do those tasks alone, much of the time. There was no real communication during the hunt or gathering times where Cavemen had time to ponder about things other than what was necessary to sustain the Cave and the community of Caves.

Cavemen learned about emotion and love as their families grew and when there was peace in the Cave and community.

They also learned a lot about the emotion of anger when their lives and livelihood was threatened.

Mostly when the emotions of anger came out, Cavemen were very aggressive and fought hard to protect what they felt needs to protect.

This particular Caveman was very challenged when he was informed that his 'gathering', which was in the form of an almost 28-year tenure with a communications company was being taken away.

I got 'terminated' because ATT failed to provide me with a position. I was not even allowed to return to ATT on a temporary basis, doing other assignments.

The processes that I went through in attempting to get a positive result from a 'job search' and the subsequent period of time between the end of that and the official notification of my 'termination' were easily handled by someone who could look at the situations and deal with them in a sequential order.

My Caveman characteristics came in handy during all the period when I was required to completely change my life from being someone who went to work each day, to someone who has no work with ATT to go to.

I still 'work' every day now, but some of that 'work' is looking for a new job, arranging my benefits, dealing with community issues, and thinking more about helping more in the Cave where I spend much more time.

It is unimaginable for me to think of how someone who is not a Caveman would deal with the situations I have been involved with since March, 2007.

Many 'Type A' men would probably blow a gasket and have breakdowns in physical and mental health if they could not longer carry on in the manner they have known for many years.

Might these non-Cavemen have a very difficult time adjusting to having less to do and find that their control of their own lives is being handled by others?

There is also a strong case to be made that some Cavemen snap under the stress of losing their ability to 'hunt', 'gather' or support the Cave. This is a real problem, too and these few men, most unfortunately, are the ones that do the most damage to others because they do not have the emotional and mental skills necessary to adapt to a more modern world that is becoming less welcome for all Cavemen.

The vast majority of real Cavemen however, deal with major changes in their Cave-lives with much less stress and challenges that most non-Cavemen, it appears.

Lots and lots of Cavemen/factory workers, miners, farmers, journeymen, laborers, and others seem to use the retirements they have worked to collect as another type of 'gathering' and they feel that retirement income allows them to release themselves from the decades-long requirements including 'hunting' and 'gathering' that they did for so many years.

When many Cavemen retire, their Cave-wives eventually learn the differences that comes with a new type of relationship where the Caveman is not longer required to go out to the 'hunt' or do any more 'gathering'.

You will find many retired Cavemen in bars, or becoming more active in community activities and social concerns. AMVETS, Elks, Moose, American Legion, and other groups originally created for the benefit of older Cavemen who no longer head out on the 'hunt' or 'gathering'.

In my case, my 'hunt' and 'gathering' is that I have become more involved in community issues and I have joined several different groups that use what I learned while I was 'gathering' to apply some things in my new life.

I am not busier than when I worked for ATT and then came home to the Cave and participated in only one or two outside-the-Cave activities.

Now that I am back, I hope to produce more posts on a more regular basis. Posting is certainly another form for using time that I used to use 'gathering' and it is sequential in nature and works well for this particular Caveman.

No comments: