Thursday, October 05, 2006

Cavemen and Doctors

Cavemen and doctors usually meet as the result of an accident. Cavemen generally hate to visit the doctor and they are somewhat reluctant to visit them even as the result of an accident.

I am still pondering whether most doctors are cavemen. I am tending to think that because they can deal with so many health issues at the same time, they may not fit into the true caveman category. They are problem solvers and they use caveman-like techniques, but they may be too complex to be considered cavemen.

A true caveman thinks that they can heal himself. If they feel pain, they may try ointments, over-the-counter remedies, or mindsets that will tell them just to "buck up" and deal with it.

Chest pain to a caveman is usually thought to be muscle related, and it is usually not the heart muscle that is thought about. We kill ourselves off too many times by not seeking professional help.

The main reason a caveman finally visits a doctor is not because he is hurting too much. It is because he has suffered with dealing with his spouse confronting him just one too many times to seek help. A caveman always remembers about his assisting in the creation of new cavebabies an that is far more important than not finally seeing a doctor.

I hated to go see the doctor during my youth and well into adult-cave-hood. When I was little I always was getting shots for ear infections until I was 9-years old and had my tonsils out.

Every visit to the doctor usually meant pain for me and I didn't like that. My cavedad was even more reluctant than I was to seek medical attention. It is a caveman thing to be resistant to visiting the doctor.

Should I address the dentist? I was forced by my mother to visit the dentist every six months between the time I could first remember and the age of fifteen. Now my dentist could have been a caveman because of his beliefs. It was his opinion that cavities should be drilled out and filled without the patient's benefit of having Novocaine or lidocaine, used. I didn't get my first shot of pain relief until I was in the Air Force. For many years thereafter I was extremely reluctant to visit the dentist. It has only been in the last ten years that I have been able to visit the dentist regularly. I have found those little shots that I should have been given as a little boy quite nice now in the dentist's chair.

There are two types of doctors that you will very rarely see a caveman visiting. In fact, if you know of a caveman visiting these two specialties, you are seeing something that is very unusual. Cavemen, by nature do not feel any need to visit a psychologist or psychiatrist. Cavemen think they know themselves well enough that they find no need to have their mind and emotions explored by anyone else. A caveman knows that he knows himself better than anyone else and finds it absurd to have anyone else explore his mental or emotional stability.

So if you see a caveman in a doctor's office you will know one of the following has happened;
He has hurt himself doing something, probably, stupid.
Another caveman has hurt him.
His spouse has finally gotten through his thick skull that it was time to seek treatment.
He was brought in by ambulance because he didn't heed the warning signs of a heart attack or a stroke.
He is just being himself, a true caveman

No comments: